I've been a dabbler in a number of martial arts. When I was a child, I checked out books from the library and tried to perform the techniques from there (I think I still have my paperback copy of Bruce Tegner's Karate somewhere in my childhood home). In middle school and high school, my mother signed me up for Chuck Norris Tang Soo Do (now named Chun Kuk Do) for four years. I have since dabbled in Aikido, Tae Kwan Do, Jujitsu, Escrima, Bujinkan, Capoeira, and various forms of Western weapon training.
I've never achieved mastery in any style (and, in fact, I've stopped even testing for belts for the most part, as it's no longer a goal for me), but I enjoy the concepts of martial arts even as I find myself unable to put sufficient effort into their practice to become any good at them.
Top Network Posts
- 94Why does the terminator have genitalia?
- 68Why does Star Trek use Celsius (SI system), not Fahrenheit (the imperial system)?
- 63In The Martian, how were the crew in the Hermes shielded from radiation?
- 53Was the original version of the Statue of Liberty of a Black slave?
- 50Why is the Star Wars universe not a post-scarcity economy?
- 46Has carbon dating indicated that live humans are 4000 years old?
- 45What was the first story to be set in the future?
- View more network posts →