I've been a dabbler in a number of martial arts. When I was a child, I checked out books from the library and tried to perform the techniques from there (I think I still have my paperback copy of Bruce Tegner's Karate somewhere in my childhood home). In middle school and high school, my mother signed me up for Chuck Norris Tang Soo Do (now named Chun Kuk Do) for four years. I have since dabbled in Aikido, Tae Kwan Do, Jujitsu, Escrima, Bujinkan, Capoeira, and various forms of Western weapon training.
I've never achieved mastery in any style (and, in fact, I've stopped even testing for belts for the most part, as it's no longer a goal for me), but I enjoy the concepts of martial arts even as I find myself unable to put sufficient effort into their practice to become any good at them.
Top Network Posts
- 67Why does Star Trek use Celsius (SI system), not Fahrenheit (the imperial system)?
- 52Was the original version of the Statue of Liberty of a Black slave?
- 45Has carbon dating indicated that live humans are 4000 years old?
- 43What was the first story to be set in the future?
- 41Does a pair of trainers (shoes) hanging on a telephone wire mean the house nearby is a crack den?
- 39Who are these DC superheroes?
- 35Is the O-type blood used as a universal donor?
- View more network posts →